Why do you need a professional profile photo?
Let's be realistic, most probably you already have a picture of yourself that you use for your CV, LinkedIn or website. You made a photo yourself, asked your friend for help or simply took a picture from your graduation, wedding or another important event. So why would you need a professional photo? Is it going to change anything? Obviously, a good profile picture is not something that will get you a job or make people fall in love with you. But here are six things that a professional picture can help you to do.
1. Benefit from the halo effect. Have you ever looked at the photo of an attractive, well-dressed person and thought that he or she must be also smart, successful and popular? Well, even if you didn't register these thoughts, most probably your subconsciousness made such assumptions. That's how the halo effect works. So, if you look attractive in the pictures, you are likely to benefit from the halo effect and charm people even before you meet them in person. Isn't it great?
2. Don't look creepy. The studies showed that you might look creepy if the picture is too dark, the emotion on your face is ambiguous or you are too close to the camera. And if you look somehow suspicious in the picture, people might assume the worst about you because of the Devil effect. Check your pictures and make sure that you are safe.
3. Level up your game. Normally, in the pictures, you always see yourself in the past. That's how photography works. However, pretty often you need to show the new or maybe even the future version of yourself to the world. You are always evolving, developing and challenging yourself, the photos have to keep up. As a photographer, I always ask about the future goals of my clients and their current challenges. And then I create the images that show them in the desired way. Sometimes, when you are climbing up, you have to fake it until you make it. Well, It's much easier to do it when you have awesome photos of yourself.
4. Make it easy to read your face. When people look at your pictures they try to understand what kind of person you are. That's why it is important to give them the right cues by managing the microexpressions on your face when you are taking the pictures. Microexpressions are involuntary facial expressions that occur within 1/25th of a second. It's hard to control them on your own and because of it, many people don't look the way they want to in the pictures.
5. Make a great first impression. The studies showed that people make a snap judgment about the others within 40 milliseconds. Subconsciously people register whether they see a trustworthy person or someone suspicious, incapable follower or a highly competent leader. When you meet a person for the first time you can introduce yourself, shake hands, exchange smiles and make a great first impression. But when people look at your photo and make a snap judgement about you, you can't do any of that. That's the moment when a professional photo can help you out.
6. Feel confident about your pictures. Isn't it good to know that you are 100% prepared? That the pictures on your website or networks show you in the best way? That your potential clients won't misjudge you? A professional photo is like a cherry on top of your cake, it's something that gets you extra credits and makes you stand out.
If you want to check how competent, likable and influential you look in your pictures test them for free on Photofeeler. Or send them to me and I will tell you what do I think about them :)